"...He prayeth well, who loveth well, Both man and bird and beast.

He prayeth best, who loveth best, All things both great and small;
for the dear God who loveth us, He made and loveth all..."

The Rime of the Anchient Mariner -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A very special Veteran´s Day

I feel proud that my service to my country continues outside of Coast Guard. Yesterday I swore in as a Peace Corps Volunteer.

I wasn´t sure how to describe how I was feeling in the days/hours leading up to the Swearing-in Ceremony and departure from our training environment; everything from ready, numb, nervous, and sad. Sometimes i don´t understand the way i feel, but at this point, it could be said that I am in awe of what is happening in my life. Saying good-bye to my friends and host family between yesterday and today was sad, but I can´t help but feel it´s the natural progression of events. I´m happy everything has worked out, and I am proud to be part of a legacy of peace.

Today I will move into my new host family´s home, and my work as a developement professional (aka Environmental Educatation Volunteer).

Today I am living the fulfillment of my heart´s hopes and dreams. I am going to live it, knowing that this is my choice; in the words a mentor of mine, "you love what you choose, you can´t choose what you love."

-
One quick note, I had the very distinct privilige to deliver a speach at our Swearing In Ceremony. It was short and from the heart, and among those with tearing eyes was the US Ambassador to Mexico! Maybe I´ll shape up to be a diplomat or president afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers