"...He prayeth well, who loveth well, Both man and bird and beast.

He prayeth best, who loveth best, All things both great and small;
for the dear God who loveth us, He made and loveth all..."

The Rime of the Anchient Mariner -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Saturday, July 10, 2010

I'm Not an Idealist

4.8
I had breakfast with a friend in Atlanta today & he pointed out the obvious fact (that I had not really thought about) that I'm leaving in a Month + Seven Days. The only part of the statement that didin't bewilder me was the fact that I'm leaving. "Leaving" implies I'm returning...which is good.

When I think of 'leaving,' I have this nebulous concept of indescribable change...AND HOW DO YOU PREPARE for 'indescribable change'??? I have general notion of what needs to be done (packing, buying, flying, visiting) & a daily planner to help me make sure I don't miss the important stuff, but really?

The one question that went through my mind all day as I was driving was: What does all this mean? I saw the PC poll on the website, asking 'what we expect will be the biggest benefit of service, professional v. cultural.' I didn't vote b/c, while I think I will reap great professional and cultural experiences, I think there is something bigger.

I'm not an idealist, I'm just trying desparately to make sense of the world around me. I have this sense of being propelled into a destiny (that I have never had before, and many may never have), and for the next Month + Seven Days, I am determined to enjoy it & be very grateful.

2 comments:

  1. maybe... something bigger = where professional or cultural or whatever aren't separate. and it's all just Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk, that's a good way of putting it! I do have a feeling like everything is going to come together for me & help me understand and give meaning to my life... which is in fact part of Life & personal growth.
    ...in order to find things, you need to look for them.

    ReplyDelete

Followers